March 1, 2010

In Search of “Big Pudding”

I admit it, I like “Big Pudding.”  It’s a term we’ve coined in our house for big brains, big ideas.  Now there are lots of types of pudding, and I'm the first to mention my small portion.  But the truth is I enjoy clever people who know more about the world than my pitiful scoop.  They tease and sharpen my thoughts, and I view thinking as an essential component of my writing space.

One of the more satisfying aspects of the media onslaught is access to this “Big Pudding.”  Creating meaningful insight from the global world requires multi-disciplinary thinking.  The internet captures some really intelligent writing, but there is a lot of noise.  The challenge is how to find the right complement of “Big Pudding” authorities who correspond to your interests--who move your thinking and writing to the page.

I’m currently interested in the new navigational strategies being developed to capture the moment amidst a torrent of media--ways to cancel the clamor and tap the right amount of “Big Pudding.”   For convenience alone, I gather most of my news and information from the internet.  My toolbar reveals that my daily internet reading is booked with three national papers, a couple of online magazines, and a number of websites like 3quarksdaily, Big Think, or Arts and Letters Daily.  It has become rather cumbersome, and I rarely get to the lot.

However, I recently discovered a site called TheBrowser that filters content into what they call an “intelligent general reader.”   Their byline is “The World in a Window.”  And their slogan is, “Give us 15 minutes of your time, and we will give you everything that matters in the world.”   The site was developed in late 2008 by the editor Robert Cottrell, formerly a journalist for The New York Review andThe Economist, along with founding partner and economist Al Breach.

Creating Global Discourse
The Browser serves as a writing tool for staying informed and creating insight into the global context in which we write.  It is structured into topical themes that cover the full cultural conversation.  The site organizes articles of top publications around the world culled from over 250+ RSS feeds.  The linked articles have their own writing spaces in their active comment sections that add to the global discourse.  The responses often go beyond a simple "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" pronouncement.  It is not just another communication tool like so many others.  It serves up some serious “Big Pudding.”

Labels:

5 Comments:

At March 1, 2010 at 10:57 PM , Blogger gaborblog said...

Yum! The pudding looks delightful!

Do you *post* comments regularly? If not, you'll have to start, otherwise this is a reading space for you and not a writing space.

Thanks for turning me on to this and 3QuarksDaily! I'm learning a lot from you!

~ Cathy

 
At March 2, 2010 at 9:03 AM , Blogger S. Adkins said...

Well...I don't comment on this site yet, as it is an entirely new technology for me. However, I think braving the commenting sections will be a daring enough adventure. I actually enjoy the commenting sections to articles on the NY Times, and I hope to step up. Forget about the writers, there are some wildly inspiring and intimidating readers out there. Gads, Stephanie

 
At March 3, 2010 at 8:53 PM , Blogger julia goolia said...

Hi Stephanie!
I really enjoyed your personal term "Big Pudding." I never would have guessed that it refers to big brains or large fruitful ideas. I have never heard of The Browser before so it was fun to use your link inside your blog to go and look around the foreign site. The thing that enticed me the most about your initial exploration of the site is how they say that if you as a reader give fifteen minutes of your time, you'll read everything essential that you need to know. I often look into sites that aren't about the "Big Pudding" but rather useless information that perhaps isn't quite educational or insightful. I'm looking forward to following your exploration of this new site!
Cheers,
Julia
.......now I'm hungry for some chocolate pudding. nom nom nom

 
At March 3, 2010 at 11:25 PM , Blogger S. Adkins said...

Note: I re-fashioned the blog and re-worked the entry for today's post. I wanted to address the visual argument. I'm also working to correct my "long-form" habits. And I wanted to introduce the idea of "thinking space" as part of the "writing space." With some of these tools, I question whether we are writing or talking. More importantly, are we listening?

I also want to report that I was thrilled to learn that my younger son has started his own blog. See...we are a bunch of chickens all learning from each other!

 
At March 4, 2010 at 9:17 AM , Blogger Corujana said...

Hi Stephanie, I really like your idea of "big pudding". So many ingredients are needed to make a big delicious pudding! hahaha I really enjoyed going through your list of ingredients! The Browser sounds like a good website for students to start practicing to voice their own intellectual ideas! Thanks for sharing some of your big pudding ingredients :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home